Monday, June 14, 2010

Merchants of Green Coffee

I'm quite selective about sharing my secret when it comes to my favorite coffee shop.  Because, there is no point of sharing this information with someone who is content with Tim Horton's or Starbucks - they will just think I'm a coffee snob.  


Before drinking my first cup of coffee there I never understood why people would drink black coffee.  It always tasted stale or too acidic to me.  But ever since that day at Merchants of Green Coffee, I always drink my first sip of coffee black, and only add milk if it's not fresh enough to my tasting.
IMG_4487


But Merchants of Green is more than just fresh coffee.  It's my little getaway in the city.  What we like about this place is that it's so calm and unassuming inside.  With green leaves covering all the windows, it gives you the impression that you're in the country.  Many weekend afternoon Yves and I, and sometimes my coffee lover friends, would sip our coffee by the piano, play Scrabble or read some old National Geographics.  Leanne, my coffee buddy, and I have also attended a collage party there.  Ange bought a roaster after visiting the coffee shop with me. 
 
IMG_7384


Don't get me wrong!  I still like a good cup of cappuccino.  But my favorite coffee is still the first cup we had at Merchants of Green.  It was here that my taste buds were introduced to what coffee is supposed to be like, and from that day on, I feel like I'm almost qualified to taste coffee. Merchants of Green Coffee know their beans and are passionate about their coffee like no body else.  The first time we went there, we were given a quick tour on the definition of fair trade, shade grown, and organic coffee.  We were then demonstrated the process of making a perfect cup of coffee: from roasting green coffee beans to the dark-brownish beans that we usually see to grinding, and to brewing it with the simplest method of steep and filter.  The merchants told me that this is the freshest coffee you'll ever get (this was later confirmed by a friend who grew up in a coffee farm in Sumatra). 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Quincin!
    it was so nice to meet you at the trunk show! did you enjoy nikole's cookies! mmm! they were so good! We got two packs after the show! I love the photo of you at the photobooth, i think it turned out really beautifully!!
    this coffee shop looks beautiful! i like the area of town it is in. I will have to bring my husband there, as he is a lover of coffee.

    ReplyDelete